Eversource recently sent this notice to customers regarding the cost of electricity, which is expected to once again increase when they transition from summer to winter rates on February 1.
Eversource anticipates that energy costs will rise as a result of limited natural gas supply caused by global events and high demand. Natural gas is New England’s largest source of electricity generation.
Eversource does not produce electricity. Instead, it’s purchased from the regional market through competitive solicitations to meet energy needs throughout the year. Eversource does not earn a profit on the cost of energy and charges customers only what the company pays in the energy market.
Eversource won’t have specific winter energy supply rates until they go out for the competitive solicitation for power from the market, but the company is reaching out to all its stakeholders to make them aware of the likely increase and encourage them to take action and help make customers aware of the ways they can manage their energy usage.
They’ll file proposed rates with the state Public Utilities Commission (PUC) in mid-December, and the approved new rates will take effect on February 1, 2024.
Eversource recognizes the financial burden that high energy prices place on its customers, especially as the costs of other goods and services have increased. Here are some of the programs and services that are available to help:
- Visit Eversource.com/manage-cost to learn more about the programs available to help you pay or manage your bill this winter.
- New Hampshire customers have the option to obtain energy supply from a competitive supplier licensed by the state Public Utilities Commission (NHPUC). Other suppliers may provide lower rates. We encourage you to fully research the terms of any agreement and be aware of potential early termination fees, variable rates, or other conditions. Visit our web page on Electric Supplier Options for more information.
- Eversource, a NHSaves® utility partner, is proud to bring our customers energy-saving programs and offers.
- Residential customers are encouraged to visit eversource.com/home-savings for information including seasonal tips and offers plus access to programs and rebates to help you reduce your energy use leading up to and during this winter.
- Eversource offers no-cost energy assessments for qualifying small businesses plus incentives to make energy-saving improvements. Businesses are encouraged to visit eversource.com to learn about all the programs and incentives available to them. Be aware that some energy efficiency programs have a lead time for appointments.
- Enroll in Budget Billing to set up predictable monthly payments and even out bill spikes during heating and cooling seasons.
- Learn about special assistance programs and payment plans to lower your monthly payments, forgive past-due balances, or enable you to pay over time. We encourage any customer who’s having trouble paying their bill to contact us so we can connect them with the programs or assistance that’s best suited for them.
- Our Residential Time-of-Day rate (ROTOD-2) provides a customer with the opportunity to lower their monthly electricity costs by using electricity when it costs less to the system. By taking a few moments to learn the on-peak/off-peak schedule and shifting some electricity usage from peak to off-peak hours, this rate can help lower monthly electric bills.
- Customers who live in cities or towns with community power programs, but are not currently involved in those programs, should review their options and choose the one that’s best for them.
Changes in our supply rate do not affect customers who obtain energy from other suppliers or participate in community power programs.